Wednesday 13 March 2013

25 Heavenly Healthy Smoothies


Simple sippablesOh my lord… smoothie heaven. Prevention Magazine has published a list of the most luscious looking smoothies I think I’ve ever seen. Now I’m even more annoyed at Harvey Norman for messing me around with my new food processor/blender. Fruit… veg.. nuts and seeds…I literally don’t know where to begin. The first step will be finding a new store from which to buy my processor (grrr Harvey Norman, grrr). Then its smoothie time!

Prevention Magazine http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/diets/25-delectable-detox-smoothies. Photo courtesy of Prevention Magazine

Smoothie’s are a great way to get your daily fruit and vegetable intake up. Ideally, we’d all be eating at least 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegetables. Many of these beautiful smoothies will give you close to that amount. Throw in a few more serves of fruit and veg throughout the day and you’re there! Easy!


 Smoothies are quick, easy and they taste so good. When I had a functional blender, I would often do a smoothie for breakfast. I like to add protein powder and some fibrous nuts or seeds, like flaxseed (linseed) or chia, to help keep us full. That’s the difference between a smoothie and a fresh pressed juice. Smoothie’s are more filling, they’re bulky and if you get enough stuff in there they’re a meal in themselves. Watch out for smoothies your purchase at cafe's and shops etc, they quite often have crazy things like ice cream added and are not the same as the ones Prevention Magazine has given us. How many smoothies should you have? I wouldn’t do anymore than one a day. You still want to chew some food right?

If you’re watching your weight, bear in mind that with some of these foods come extra calories. Its not a problem, they’re healthy, good quality, happy calories. Just make sure you factor that in to the rest of your day’s food. If you’re on a very calorie restricted diet, I’d consider having a smoothie every second or third day and choose lower calorie options. Balance is the key.  

Without having tried them, Grrr, I can see my favourites will probably be Blueberry Ginger, Liver Tonic and Berry Elixir. I think I’ll try them all anyway. Which ones do you like? I’d love to hear your thoughts on them. If you do ever feel the urge to share your thoughts with me, I have a First Be Healthy facebook page. Find me at First Be Healthy (obviously) :).

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment