Tuesday 23 April 2013

4 ways to know whether the health material you’re reading is true or not.

Have you ever wondered how to tell if a product is truly as wonderful as the advertisements say, or if it’s really all just hype? There is literally millions of health ‘products’ and ‘health’ resources on the market, how do you choose which ones you try? Which ones you invest your hard earned money in? Which blogs or websites to follow?

I am in the business of sharing health information. As a practitioner, a blogger, a business owner, that’s what I do. Through both my facebook page, and my twitter account I share links to other peoples work daily. But what makes me share one link over another? What makes me ‘like’ the look of one nutrition website, or one resource over one that is really pretty similar?

Here is a list of 4 key things that I look for. If any one of these 4 things is fishy, I would follow with caution

  1. Time Frame

This really applies largely to weight loss products or weight loss programs. The market for these programs is enormous. We have an obesity epidemic. More than half our country is trying to get thinner! I’ve worked with weight loss clients; I know it’s hard. I know there are challenges. If it were easy then everyone would be doing it. Real, sustainable weight loss takes time. When I see an advertisement, or a link, or a website for a weight loss program that promotes any more than 2kg’s (4.4lbs) a week, to me, it’s a dead giveaway that its crap. Either they are lying outright, or you will stack that weight back on within weeks of coming off their ‘program’ because whatever you’ve had to do to lose that weight is not sustainable. Look at the timeframe of the program. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

  1. One simple product, one simple step
www.tumblr.com
‘Just drink this one drink 4 times a day and you’ll lose 5kg’s in one week’
‘Replace all your meals with our meal replacement drinks and snack on our protein bars, you’ll look fabulous in no time!’

Does this sound like a good idea to you? Whenever I see something that suggests results based on one simple thing, I’m out. If all we had to do is drink a drink, or take a tablet, or replace all our food with one meal replacement, and that would fix everything, life would be so perfect. Wouldn’t it? We could just keep doing what we’re doing, add that drink or tablet, and voila. Instant result. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. Adding one simple thing, whatever that may be, to your lifestyle isn’t going to change or correct the existing problem. If you have a health condition, adding one product into your lifestyle will not fix it. If you’re overweight, adding one product into your lifestyle will not fix it. Nothing is ever so simple. I know that sounds disheartening, but I promise you there is hope. This just isn’t it.

  1. The one size fits all system

I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but we’re all completely different people. I might be taller than you; you may have a smaller body frame (bone structure). Someone else has an apple shaped figure. I’m a pear. I’m pretty active, someone else is sedentary. I feel best when I don’t eat crap, another person has no idea how they feel when they eat well, they’ve never done it. You may have hypothyroidism. The lady down the street is genetically gifted with a slim muscular physique. Tell me it makes sense to recommend the same thing to all these people. Go on. You can’t, because it doesn’t make sense. No one size fits everybody. There is no such thing as ‘the best diet plan’, there’s just a diet plan that certain people find effective. There is no one best supplement regime for someone with an illness. There are just supplements that a different person with the same illness found useful. Does that mean you can’t try them? No, it simply means that you need to understand that your body and someone else’s body are different, and you may or may not find it useful. When I see information, or products that use this one size fit all strategy, I know that the people behind it haven’t tried it out yet. I know that they’re either lying to me, in order to make the sale and take my money, or that they haven’t really got much experience in the real world. They haven’t personally tested it out on enough people to know the truth. There is no one size fits all and I’d be cautious of anyone that says different.

  1. The words ‘cure’ or ‘prevention’ or  ‘proven’

excellentquotations.com
When it comes to your health, these are 3 words that you simply can’t get overly excited by. It is so easy when we’re unwell to seek out the answer, to try to find a solution to the problem. What’s that saying, ‘The healthy have many wishes, and the sick only have one’. If we had a guaranteed cure for your illness, your illness would not exist. If I could offer you a pineapple to make you feel better, I would, believe me. But a pineapple won’t do it, nor will take one supplement, or following one program. You see how it all links together? You absolutely can manage your symptoms, you absolutely can improve your health outcomes, you absolutely can contribute to your health, boost your energy and provide your body with what it needs to heal itself, or to support other treatment strategies. You absolutely can, and I would advise that you do. But be very wary of anything that saying it’s a cure. 

Similarly, we cannot with certainty prevent anything. I can eat all the antioxidants in the world (and I do!) but that does not mean that I will never get cancer. The body is complex, there are things acting on it daily, it is constantly undergoing transformation, there are genetic factors involved. I cannot prevent my own cancer any more than someone with a product or a program can prevent yours. But I certainly can provide my body with the best of everything. I can make sure its full of nutrients, that it’s recuperated with a good night sleep, that its toxic chemical free, that my stress hormones aren’t through the roof. I can do all the things that are necessary for my body to function at its peak and do what it knows best.

‘Proven’ is a term that science is wary of. Very little in this world is proven with out a shadow of a doubt. Never has something been more true than in the area of nutrition, where we’re learning and changing daily. I would suggest you steer clear of anything ‘proven’, the ‘proven’ product, the ‘proven’ weight loss program, the information ‘proven’ to cure cancer.

This point is actually a game of semantics. There is a big different between saying ‘the research shows’ and the word ‘proven’. There are certain things that indicate that an author understands scientific exploration that they are fair, and balanced, unbiased. I like articles with words like
-         Research shows
-         Demonstrated
-         Potential
-         May
-         Reduced risk

Why? Because it allows for the differences I mentioned earlier. Something may have the potential to reduce your risk of getting Alzheimer’s. That is very different than saying that it will prevent you from getting Alzheimer’s. Do you see what I mean? One is cautious, it takes into account the uncertainty, the difference that exists between all of us, and within science. The other is certain in a way that no one can be, it is therefore a false certainty.

Get comfortable with being discerning. Learn what makes a good resource, a good product, and a good program. Don’t charge off trying every fad or health trend under the sun. You’ll save yourself a lot of time and money.

I hope you find this useful.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment