Sunday 21 April 2013

Sunday Treats - Healthier Pancake Options


Here in Australia it is Sunday morning. This post is going up a little later than usual today because it’s my one day off, and I slept in until 7am… Woohooo. I know its still Saturday for my American friends, but there isn’t long to go until Sunday arrives, that being said, Sunday is my chill out day. It’s the day I relax and try to enjoy the good things of life. The weather has been pretty crappy here in Sydney, so my partner and I had planned to go play squash, but we’ve woken up to what looks like a beautiful sunny day, so that may change to something more outdoorsy. In the meantime however, I was left wondering, what delicious delight do I make for breakfast today?

Pancakes!

Yep, pancakes. The healthier kind. Armed with a cupboard full of ingredients I went on the hunt for a recipe and thought I’d share the ones I liked with you. If you haven’t had breakfast yet, may these recipes bring you the joy they’re about to bring us!!

My breakfast choice

Coconut Flour Pancakes from Foodie Fiasco

These look delicious, they have a good flavour rating by others (I always check) and they fit my eating criteria perfectly! Plus, the author is a little quirky which I love.

 Ingredients
from foodiefiasco.com
  • 2 egg whites
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
  • stevia (I use 1-2 packets.)
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. (Be patient as this may take a few minutes.)
  2. Heat a greased non-stick skillet over medium high heat for a minute or two. (You want the pan to be completely pre-heated so the first pancakes cooks correctly.)
  3. Pour desired amount of batter onto skillet (I used two tablespoons to make medium-sized pancakes), and cook until golden, a few minutes on each side.
  4. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining batter, re-greasing (or spraying with cooking spray) between each pancake.
  5. Top at will and devour!
BIG NOTE: I doubled the recipe when I made these but for some reason they turned out quite dry. Nothing that some agave syrup didn't fix mind you, but to prevent this next time I would add quite a bit more almond milk. Let me know how you go.
These pancakes have a great amount of fibre and protein and they’re low carbohydrate. Yum.
I haven’t made these yet, but there is a high probability I will have natural pure peanut butter on the side for these.

Grain Free Pumpkin Pancakes from Wellness Mama

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup pumpkin puree (this can be hard to find in Australia but you could just make your own by boiling it and blending it)
  • ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
  • Coconut oil for the pan
  • Raw butter, raw honey, maple syrup, or fruit butter for serving
Instructions
grain free pumpkin pancakes Grain Free Pumpkin Pancakes
from wellnessmama.com
  1. Warm a cast iron pan over medium high heat.
  2. Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon.
  3. Add about a tablespoon of coconut oil to the hot pan and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan.
  4. Use about two scant tablespoons of batter for each pancake. They flip best when the pancakes are small.
  5. Cook until golden on the bottom and slightly opaque in the centre and around the edges.
  6. Flip, brown on the other side, and serve.
  7. Makes about 8 small pancakes, for 1 large serving or 2 medium servings.
Simple and delicious these are higher in carbohydrates than the first ones but they’re full of vitamin a and beta-carotene. Delicious.

Rhiannons Banana Pancakes

I heard about this recipe from my friend Rhiannon, I’m sure she got it from somewhere, but to me, its hers. I’ve made this quite often

Ingredients
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi2WzvHJwMSSg9LIA50qcBmEoi2rDwGFfrB2J16zTeJRpDceLWdGDKmNTyoKs4ceWzqMkSTcdaxxudCxtYVdGvv_I0Pw791o-eAGgEu8DD67A3ukxHKhQcL5tUeBmKsftfoNqBgllv8zyQ/s1600/Banana+Pancakes2.jpg
image from sassafrascafe.blogspot.com
  • 1 banana
  • 2 eggs
  • Coconut oil
  • Cinnamon
Directions

  1. Mash banana
  2. Combine eggs and mashed banana
  3. Heat coconut oil in pan
  4. Add mixture
  5. Cook pancakes until golden and flip
  6. When done, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve
There are so many other things you could do to these, try adding desiccated coconut, or serving with natural peanut butter on the side, it’s delicious and so so simple.

So there you have it, 3 of my favourite options for breakfast this beautiful Sunday. Hope you all have a fantastic day

Chris

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris! Came across your blog on the Exercise and Healthy Living community on Google+. Great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Irina, let me know if you try any of them! I had the coconut flour pancake for brekky which was beautiful, it not a little dry (as mentioned) hehe :)

      Delete