Tuesday 19 March 2013

Exercise Fiend - Running - Its possible for everyone!

One of the easiest and cheapest forms of exercise is the good old jog, or run. The only equipment you need is some good shoes and comfortable clothing. Once you have that sorted, off you go.

If you’re anything like me, there may be a little more involved. I struggled to try and run for years. I always felt completely uncoordinated, would huff and puff my way from one end of the street to the other and then have to walk for 5 minutes to get my breath back. Not to mention I would be aching and stiff the next day. I promise you, there is hope! These days it’s a little easier and I can run a lot further. In fact, I’m currently training for a 7.5km Alzheimer’s Australia Memory Walk/Jog in May, and the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival Bridge Run, which is 9km. For seasoned runners these aren’t long distances, but if you’re not currently a runner, they will probably feel impossible.

The Couch-to-5K ® Running PlanIf you’re struggling like I was, or just looking to get outdoors, I’d suggest you visit the Cool Running website.


It offers some fantastic programs for all levels of runner, but the Couch to 5K running plan is a brilliant program for beginners. This is the program I used. It uses a mix of jogging and walking to gradually build up your confidence and fitness.

Walking, Jogging or running are all great forms of cardiovascular exercise. The key with cardio is to get your heart to beat faster. If you choose walking as your preferred method, make sure you’re walking fast enough that you’re breathing is getting faster and you’re feeling warm. A gentle meander probably isn’t enough to do it, if it is, stick with it! For some of us, we need to speed it up and this is where the jog and run come in. The difference between a jog and a run is really just the intensity. A jog will have me puffing; a run will have me gasping.

According to the Victorian Governments Better Health website, the benefits of jogging and running include
  • Helping to build strong bones, as it is a weight bearing exercise
  • Strengthening muscles
  • Improving cardiovascular fitness
  • Burning plenty of kilojoules
  • Helping to maintain a healthy weight.
 Not to mention it can be great fun! I’m entering the above fun runs with my partner and a great friend of mine. My competitive partner runs off and does his thing, and my girlfriend and I jog along merrily and have a chat (between our huffs and puffs). It’s a great day out.

There are lots of reasons people take up running. I found a few wonderful sites to inspire you. Maybe you see yourself in these runners.


Every week Dicks Sporting Store (whereever that is) is showing interviews with different inspiring inividuals who discuss the reasons they run. It had me in tears.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=20154356&camp=sn:traditionalmedia:general:runfor2me

Julie Weiss's story of 52 marathons in 52 weeks is truely a story of triamph, not to mention persistance and consistency.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/julie-weiss-runs-52-marathons-52-weeks?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Prevention-_-fitness-fitnesstips-_-52Marathonsin52Weeks

Looking to have fun, get fit and be healthy? Grab your shoes and a friend and get outside! It’s free!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment